Español

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

I started the day working with some first grade students who needed some extra time in the studio, as they hadn't been here last year. 

I let them have time to make a painting of their choice, to get them comfortable with the supplies and the studio, and when they said they were finished, I asked them to paint feathers.  I let them choose their colors and showed them where the metallic paints and glitter is located, hoping they'd take me up on the slight suggestion and use them, as the feathers have a sheen to them. 

I used a combination of my limited Spanish vocabulary and the translation of the one student who speaks limited English to communicate.  Art is pretty awesome because it transcends spoken language and I live that here at the beginning of the year or when we get new students. 

She used only purple at first and I pointed out that you could see gold and blue-green.  She was able to find the colors and put them in the correct spots. You can see an attempt at the shape, too.  This is her first observational painting with me EVER, and she has never done an observational drawing either, so I'm really happy with this.


He couldn't quite get the thin lines, so he used a sharpie instead of a paintbrush
for the pieces on the bottom. 

He added glitter to create the sheen on the feathers.


104:

We continued our portraits.  I noticed one little girl staring at her eyes, examining the inside of them. Then I noticed she added the red rim around her eyes in her portrait. This isn't even the class that talked about bleeding eyeballs, so I don't know what it is with kindergarteners and the inner eyelid, but it might be something we need to explore.  The result of this eyelid drawing is pretty anatomic.


Some of the students from last year are really great at coloring.


103- We reviewed the nature experience, then practiced our watercolor skills drawing the things we saw outside (and some portraits) 





In 118, we went outside to start our nature walks and we saw a few living things. 




No comments:

Post a Comment