Español

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

First Grade- I brought in a new group today.  We'll call them group two.  They were enthusiastic about starting the portrait lesson.

Second Grade- I brought in Group One to finish their portraits. They finished early in the period and then I gave them time to work at the easels with markers. Working at the easels is really exciting- they get to work on huge paper and create artwork of their choice.  Every single student made a second portrait.  Every single second portrait was created using colors that are not realistic. I thought this was an interesting observation.  In my lesson plan, I was going to have them compare and contrast their work with a partner's work, but when opportunity strikes, we take it.  I had them look at their imaginative portraits and compare those with their observational portraits.

This was really excited for two students in particular. They created portraits of vampires as their free time drawing. As they worked comparing and contrasting the two drawings, they had this dialogue.

<Talking quietly to each other.>
E- Miss, we think this would be a good display on the wall.
K- You could hang our portraits and this paper and the vampire paper together.
E sets it up.- Like this.



The comparison was:

vampire vs. not a vampire
wings vs. no wings
not happy vs. happy
both are portraits

That's as far as we got today because the students had to get back to class, but I'd like to pull them aside for another conversation about this piece.  Perhaps they could redo their identity panel portraits so we could hang this as a display in the room or in the hallway.  I want to honor their vision, since it was pretty great that they thought of turning it into a panel.

Kindergarten- I took some kindergarteners from 104 to work on their portraits again (and some for the first time.) I found a great app that will help me when pulling students from different rooms at the same time- teacherkit. It works right on the iPad, so I'm able to create class lists for groups of students of my choosing, track their attendance, track their behavior and even track their progress. I tested the app out on this group and it was really helpful.  Now I have a much easier way to keep track of which students have been to the studio and who needs more time with me.

Pre-K 103- I had the whole group in the studio, divided into two groups.  The students who finished their portraits worked on color mixing with fingerpaint at the easel. The other students continued on their portraits.





One go-getter completed a painting and then had time to create with markers at the easel. I thought the composition was pretty interesting. She titled it Halloween 2. Her painting was Halloween, so this is a companion piece.  


101- I brought a small group in to focus on their portraits. A few students finished early and when given paper, they produced more portraits. This one is of me.  I think it's a striking resemblance. :) 


I love the period I have at the end of the day every other day- it's an hour block with 118. An hour gives us so much time to work and create and reflect! I brought the same group in to complete their portraits and everyone finished. When the students were finished, I had them work at the easels with markers to reflect on the provocation question, "Why do we make portraits?" They thought of things along the lines of creation for identification, but I hope to rework the question as we go to have them reflect upon why people take photographs, selfies, and create art that shows people. I want them to go deeper, thinking about the human need to record our images in art. 





No comments:

Post a Comment