EspaƱol

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Monday, September 22, 2014

Yesterday, we had our first skype session of the year with Ashley Cadwell. It was nice to sit with the team and discuss our progress so far this year.  We have a long way to go, but it feels good to have a better grasp on what we need to do, as opposed to last year when we were trying to blaze the trail.

After skyping, I pushed into 104. Two of the kindergarteners, Kierra and Sebastian, called me over to hear a song they learned in Spanish. I recorded them on my audionote app, then quickly put their self-portraits into a video with the song.  I can't wait to show it to them!


103- I let the students continue to explore the idea of portraiture by having them paint portraits in watercolor.  We are going to let the students experiment with this material all week, so they can become comfortable with it. Mrs. Bennett and Ms. Cich even sat with the students and painted.




We have a student in this class who does not speak English or Spanish. He has been very nervous and withdrawn as a result and we're doing all we can to reach out to him.  On a whim, we decided to try Google Translate. It didn't have the language he speaks, but Swahili is spoken in the country he came from, so we tried that.  I typed, "Hello" in the translator and let the speaker read the word.  He was painting and his head jumped up.  A small half-smile appeared on his face. "Do you understand?" was the next words we tried, and he gave us a huge smile.

This is one of those moments in teaching that I will never forget.  We tried a few more phrases and I don't think he understood all of them, but he definitely appeared to have heard the language before and seemed more at ease with us.


101 finished up their portraits so their identity wall can start to be assembled.  I'm going to do the same thing I'm doing with 103- allow them to explore portraits through watercolor as a reinforcement for portraits and an introduction to watercolor.

118- I brought a new small group into the studio to start their portraits.  We are nearly through this class. I enjoy working on the self-portraits, but it will be fun and exciting to start whatever next project we head into.


No comments:

Post a Comment