Español

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday December 17-19, 2013

I apologize for not updating the blog the last few days.  I'd been splitting my time between hanging artwork and writing my SLO/LMA for my APPR.  (For those of you not in the know, I'm speaking of the data-heavy documents we write for our evaluations.)

We've still been producing work faster than I can document, so I'm hoping to play catch-up today.

Tuesday:

120- We worked on painting peace banners and posters for the Holiday performance.  They are finished with their masks. As they worked, I had my camera out and placed it next to me on a table as I talked to a student.  Two kids saw it and were totally fascinated that the camera has a live view image when it's just sitting there. They kept putting their hands behind it and waving to see their hands show up on the screen!













116- I took a small group to paint pieces for the foyer mobiles.
108- I pushed in and we worked on peace posters.
112- We created peace posters.
103- We added drawings to the backgrounds of our cut-shape houses.
104- We used patterns to create mobiles for the foyer mobile project.
Wednesday:
120- I worked with small groups on creating and ordering scenes of the seasons.
112- We created Christmas trees as part of an ESL project.  I took notes as they spoke and it led to a discussion about how to find information (in this case, on the internet) and we eventually looked up different kinds of evergreen trees used as Christmas trees.
118- I've been working with this group on creating larger-than-life-sized props for the Holiday Program.  It was awesome.  Huge rulers, huge erasers, huge crayons.
102- Their teacher mentioned that she plans on having them create houses to help them memorize their house numbers and get a better sense of self, which is part of their social studies curriculum.  I did the same lesson I'd done with the pre-k on Monday. They created houses out of shapes and glued them to a background sheet.  I'll repeat this with the other half of 102 today.



104- Their teacher noticed that her students are very interested in the ocean and the beach.  She took a survey and twenty of them have been to the beach (many of the students come from Puerto Rico.)  I decided to see what they would do with an investigation of shells.  I placed shells, colored pencils, pens, and paper on a table and let them come in.  Their teacher wants to tie it into the senses, so we talked about the way the shells sound, smell and feel. I then let them create a drawing using the shells in any manner they wished. Some created elaborate scenes and others just traced the shells.




Thursday:
All morning was spent in the auditorium for the Holiday Program.  I watched all of our students perform and I was amazed by some of the things our students are able to do.  It's evident that our school is living the "ethic of excellence" described by Ron Berger. That's the glaring thought that came to mind as I watched this program.  The work the kids produce is high quality and it's something that they are proud of. The teachers and students work so hard and their efforts are well rewarded by the smiles and pride on the students' faces.

I was finally able to hang the Foyer Mobile!  I think it's been about a month that we've been working on this and it's installed now!









No comments:

Post a Comment