Español

Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday, September 23, 2013

116, second grade bilingual- I had the pleasure of pulling small groups out of 116 to work on their portraits.  This group needed more help than the other students.  We watched the video of Austin's Butterfly and the students understood the importance of listening to constructive criticism for improvement. The drawings they created today finally accomplished what I'd set out to introduce and they will get to paint their portraits next time.

108, first grade monolingual- I was also able to pull a group of nine into the studio for an introduction to tempera paint.  I used black and white paint and let the students explore what happens when they mix, when paint drips, when brushes dry out.  They enjoyed this lesson and experiment in paint.  I taught them how to tell when they have enough paint on their brushes (the brush looks straight) and how to wipe the brushes on the side of the water cup, so that the brushes aren't too wet.

I asked the students to reflect on the experience:
Student 1 titled her work, "Rainbow". She said,  "I like to paint rainbows, even when they aren't colorful."
Student 2 said, "I love painting with black and white. I learned that I can make a zebra pattern, like my glasses.
Student 3 said, "I learned how to make the brush look straight."




102 monolingual kindergarten- I pulled half of the class into the studio to work on the next phase of their letters and lines project.  The students drew a letter, traced it with a marker and then went around it with watercolor paint.  This lesson served to reinforce the lines in letters concept and introduce the students to watercolors. We learned how to hold a brush, how to tell if the brush is too wet or too dry, and how to wash the brush between colors.

Inviting presentation reinforcing the concept of jagged lines.



Student work:


101, dual language preschool- The students were split into two groups. The children who completed an abstract line watercolor painting were in one group and the children who didn't complete one were in another group.  The first group filled the outline of a letter with foam shapes.  The second group created the watercolor paintings.  The outcome is very colorful and interesting. 





No comments:

Post a Comment