Español

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Next week is Multicultural week at School #33.  I've been asked by a few of the teachers to incorporate the multicultural theme into my work with the students this week.

120- We pushed in and my student teacher and I split into two groups.  I worked with a group on Aboriginal Dot Paintings, as the country 120 is studying is Australia.  My student teacher sat at the light table with a group as they traced Australian animals. 

116-  The students came in to work on the paper sculptures. 

Y- this doesn't balance on this side because the piece is too long.
Mrs. Rose- why does it balance when it's on that side?
Y- the sides are the same. To balance it, they have to be the same size.

Mrs Rose- A, how did you get your sculpture to stand up?
A- I don't know.
Mrs. Rose- Tell me how you made it.
A- First, I made the line. Then I added the small pieces all down the line so it would stand.
Mrs. Rose- Why do you think the little pieces made it stand?
A- I put them all along the sides. I put one here and one here and then did that for all of them.
(He shows me, using his hands, how he placed one on the right, then one on the left, alternating, to get his sculpture to stand.)


J- I put all of the sticks together to make it. I put glue on it to stick it and it made it so it could stand. I had the idea to make it like a chair.  Like the chair that goes like this. [shows me her fingers crossed like an X.] Then, I wanted to make it look like a snowflake, so I did that.


108- This class is doing Ireland for Multicultural Week.  My student teacher took a group to continue working on their identity wall Andy Warhol-inspired portraits, which freed me up to take a group to work on the Ireland project.  I had two students draw observational drawings of Irish dancers and create Celtic knots out of pipe cleaners. 

R- Look at her costume! It has Celtic knots drawn all over it!

When I took the students back, they saw that a few students were finishing up with the overhead projector. They placed the pipecleaner Celtic knots on the overhead and the students were throwing out "ooohs" and "ahhhs." I have a feeling the Celtic knots might live near the light table for a little while after this project is finished.

118- This group did the same thing as 116.

102- The students came in and finished their block houses. They looked at photos of their real houses and added the windows and doors in the right spot. They then added the house number on the block (some of the house numbers were added to the back of the block, because it "fit better.") This helped with the Brigance skill of knowing their addresses and our school goal of getting students to draw from observation and pay attention to details.




101- The students continued to work on their identity wall portraits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment