Español

Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday, March 10, 2014

116- We brought a group in to work on the paper sculptures.  Over the weekend, I picked up a copy of Artvoice, a local newspaper, which featured a story on Alberto Rey, a local artist featured in the Burchfield Penney's current exhibition.  While the students worked, I showed them the article's photographs and we talked more about the big project Mr. Rey has at the Burchfield.  His artwork combines paintings, videos, a science experiment with water samples and a historical study, all on the subject of the Scajaquada creek, a creek that runs underneath the city of Buffalo. His project is a model for an Inquiry-Based school, such as ours, to follow.  I've contacted Mr. Rey and I hope that he is willing to either visit our school or accept interview questions from the students via email.

I was very careful to make sure that I didn't become a slave to the clock with this project.  I still had one student who didn't understand symmetry.  Instead of rushing him to the next step, I worked with him again. He was able to complete his drawing correctly and his mood went from defeated to proud in forty minutes.  I love when they "get" it.

The beginning of a paper sculpture
The article on Alberto Rey

118- Mrs. Chowaniak was telling me about a new provocation her class is working on- "What is amazing about our community?"  I'm going to see if we can create a project that will incorporate a promotional poster and video for our city. I've contacted Visit Buffalo Niagara and I'm hoping they will want to start a partnership with us, giving the students advice on promoting the city and perhaps giving us a little space on their website to share our promotional video and poster.

During the class, I brought a small group in to continue working on their paper sculptures.  We did the same thing as the previous class, talking about Alberto Rey and the experience of seeing the Nancy Rubins' sculpture in person last Friday.


108- We brought in a small group to continue their Andy Warhol inspired portraits for their identity walls. 


112- Ms. Natal's class came in to continue working on their ocean pollution mural. I love this so much, I hung it in the studio as a work-in-progress, instead of rolling it up until their next class.


101- The preschoolers are also working on an identity wall, like Room 108.  They traced their photographs today and they will use realistic colors to color them in. These were the really great examples of the project, exceeding my expectations once again.




104- We took the other half of the class in to curate which observational drawings of hibernating animals should be added to the bear cave. 

I brought these photographs in from my house.  Ashley Cadwell said they look like "windows" on a wall that severely needs more windows.  I love that they combine nature with an important art concept- perspective. I can't wait to see what the students think of this new addition to the studio.  I'm trying to keep the studio as aesthetically pleasing and calming as possible.  






No comments:

Post a Comment