EspaƱol

Friday, February 14, 2014

Friday, February 14, 2014

Today is a different kind of day, as it's Valentine's Day and many of the classes are celebrating!

120- We had an Honors Assembly during this class. I am very proud of all of the students who are growing and achieving, both academically and behaviorally.

116- We pulled the last group of students to begin the symmetry lesson.  This group happens to be a group who needed more instruction on their math lesson last time.  Something I noticed between the last group and this group is that the students who are excelling at math were able to demonstrate symmetry without any problems.  They aren't necessarily the strongest artists I teach, but with this lesson, it didn't matter at all! They knocked this out of the ballpark, so to speak. :)  With the group I had today- the students who needed extra help with math- this was a struggle for the most part and some of these students are really strong artists!  We know that symmetry and math go hand-in-hand, but it was really obvious in this comparison.  I will remix the groups so that some who are stronger at math will work with those who struggle and the children can teach each other about symmetry.

108- We had the fire alarms go off during this class and the students had to .  Some of the teachers were able to quickly grab coats (myself included, as I leave it on my chair) and as we waited for instructions, I saw that the teachers, myself included, wrapped our coats around as many kids as we could, huddling close to them and joking with them to keep them calm. (I told them, "It's Valentine's Day, feel free to hug your friends for warmth!")  We had no idea how long we would be out there, or if there was a real emergency, and it's about 25 degrees outside, but our first priority was to keep the kids comfortable and that speaks volumes about the level of commitment of the teachers of School #33.  Fortunately, this only lasted a few minutes and it was a false alarm. Our local fire department and administration handled the situation quickly!

We came back inside and the students did their daily exercise to warm them up.  This is usually done at a different time, so it ended up using up some of my time in the classroom.  Instead of pulling students out, I pushed in and worked at the playdough center. The students made cookies and charged other students invisible money to "eat" the cookies.  I demonstrated ways to smooth out the dough and make it even for the cookie cutters, then asked them to take it a step further and "decorate" the cookies.

118- I brought a group in to work on symmetry.  This group was outstanding.  Everyone understood by the end of the class and they did a fantastic job.

101 had a Valentine's day party.

102 also had a Valentine's day party.



No comments:

Post a Comment