Español

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thursday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!  We're back!

120- We started off the new year with a fun project.  The class is decorating their room to take ownership of it.  They are collecting metal lids from cans (like pasta sauce jars) and painting stars on the inside of the lid, then gluing the lids to the classroom wall.  They are also painting the chairs for their kitchen area.  Today, I worked with a group as we sponge-painted the chairs. We talked about texture as we created a coat of white sponge prints all over the wooden chairs. Now they are a blank canvas for the stars and rainbows the students wanted to paint on them!

116- I took a group to continue working on the large drawings of the school and the church next door for their community mural. These should be finished by next week, hopefully, and we can add to the mural.  Our next step will be to add more living and non-living things from our community to the mural.

108- The class was small today due to the inclement weather, so I took the whole group into the studio to paint their community buildings.  Two girls hadn't finished their buildings, so they were in charge of making the map that the buildings will be displayed upon.  They looked at a map of our school on Google Maps for inspiration. They added the river and the 190 expressway, the park and lots of streets.




118- I brought the school group in to start building the school out of clay.  I had an idea to show the students the building on Google Earth (no, Google isn't paying me for any of this- I just happened to use their handy apps today!) Google Earth allows you to see the building as three-dimensional.  It's easier to see that a building is a rectangular prism or cube from Google Earth than it is to see a photograph of the building.  I thought this would help their creation and it did! I helped them draw the shapes we saw and they began to assemble slabs of clay into the form of our school as though it were a game of Tangrams or Tetris.  They need to add details like windows and doors, but it was a great start!  Google Earth was a huge help.


102 and 101- As a continuation of our lesson on shapes and houses, I had the students draw their houses and families.



Dialogue:
Teacher, showing students a drawing of her house and family- If you look at this image I drew, what does it inspire you to do something today? 
J- I want to draw!
C- I want to draw my house and family!
J- I have a dad like the one you drew! 
C-I have a tree in my yard just like that!
D- I have a puppy dog, too!
C- I think we are going to draw a picture of our family and dogs!

D draws a curved street with a house and a stop sign. He doesn't know how to write, "stop" but J does, so he helps his friend. J then adds a stop sign to his street scene and invites D over to visit his house. D then draws the school and the church by the school.
D- I live near the school!
 J- I'm drawing myself hiding from my dad!  He doesn't know where I am. I'm hiding because we're playing hide and seek. I'm going to hide my sister, too. She's eight. 
D- I have a treehouse.  Do you have a treehouse?
Everyone says, "No!" 
D- It has a tree with a ladder and I'm hiding from my dad, too, in the tree house. We're playing hide and seek, too.
J- I'm going to draw the whole street. Nobody can go in the street because it's dangerous. Cars go really fast. My mom is inside the house watching my sister who is one-year-old. My sister has messy hair because she always messes it up.
A drew a car in front of his house.  He isn't sharing much, but he's quietly working.
J- My cousin is here. She has pretty hair. She likes my house because she likes blue and white.  My little brother is three.
M- This is my sister and my mom and my car.
C- I don't have a car.  I drew my friend's house. She doesn't live there anymore.
Teacher notices that J's house has a sign that says, "yes." She asks why it says that.
J- It means only people who are good can come in my house.  The stop sign says they can't go if they are bad. At my house, I don't really have a stop sign or a yes sign. Just in the drawing. 





No comments:

Post a Comment