Español

Friday, January 10, 2014

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Our school (and entire area) was "closed" due to the Polar Vortex Blizzard of 2014 Tuesday and Wednesday.  Today was a super productive day to make up for lost time!

116- The students finished the school mural!  I will get pictures of it hanging on the wall as soon as I can.

118- The students who are building the school out of clay did a phenomenal job!  One more day of work to complete it and I'll take a photograph then.

108- I helped proctor an exam. 

112- I borrowed some books on ocean creatures from the library. The students will spend the next few classes in art and science investigating the ocean creature of their choice.  I've booked the student iPads for next week and the students will have time to watch videos on National Geographic kids to learn more about their animals.  They'll draw the animals from the photographs and compile a list of facts that they want to share with the class about their animal.  We'll have a presentation or perhaps create videos that will teach the rest of the class about each animal. 

101- I hung our New York City mural in the wall beside the library.  I tried to hang it in the library, but with the way the lights and alarms are hung, there wasn't a large enough space! Our librarian was so excited to have artwork and then subsequently disappointed, so I brainstormed with the preschoolers about creating a mural for that empty space in the library. They wanted to draw geometric shapes, rainbows, flowers and insects when I asked them what they thought would be beautiful on the wall. We continued the conversation and decided to go with a "spring" theme and use the acetate paper so the mural will stand out on that plain, open wall space.
Ta-da! New York City is beautifying our cafeteria/library hall! 

Faux flowers (we did just have a blizzard!) drawn from observation
A springtime rainbow

Tracing (for fine motor) and drawing from observation 

Nice drawing of the wooden lady bug

104- I pushed in to observe their science lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment