EspaƱol

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Wednesday, October 16, 2013


I had to give the first and second students a pre-test for our state mandated evaluation process, so the morning wasn't filled with the usual educational excitement I'm lucky enough to experience every other day.

103, pre-k- The class continued their exploration of paint by creating green paintings out of blue and yellow paint with roller brushes.  Instead of regular rollers, however, these had squares, circles, wavy lines, hearts and stars, so the experience wasn't the same as the last class when we used red and yellow to create orange.  Last time, I added leaves and twigs to the supplies to see what the students would do.  Today, I had wood shapes.  The students pressed the shapes into the paper and painted over them.  This left an imprint of the shape in either the color of the paper, or the color of whichever layer of paint they were on when they laid the shape down.  The images are really interesting.  One table had their titles figured out before I even came to the table- they enjoy naming their work and I think they are growing immensely already!








104, monolingual kindergarten- I took the second half of this class to create their primary color paintings with black and white shapes.  We made guesses as to which colors would be created by mixing the primary colors- I explained how all scientists make predictions before they experiment. I wrote their guesses on the board and the paint mixing commenced. The giggling that goes on in the studio is the most amazing sound, and there was plenty to be heard today. "Oh!  Oh, it makes green! I didn't guess green!" "Look!  This made purple!" "When you mix them all, you get brown!" Definitely a rewarding end to the day.  I am going to have them critique the paintings next time and then give them the chance to work with the paint again, to see what changes are made.

No comments:

Post a Comment