EspaƱol

Monday, October 7, 2013

Friday, October 4th

118 monolingual second grade students came in to work on their portraits. I gave them an introduction to painting in which I told them the trick to knowing if you require more paint is in the paintbrush's hairstyle- if the paintbrush looks like it's having a bad hair day, it probably needs more paint or water.  I also told them that they can be the "boss of the brush".  I heard a lot of comments and critique around these phrases:

I'm not letting my brush have a bad hair day!
I am the boss of the brush!
You are not the boss of the brush when you hold it like that!
This brush looks like it's having a bad day.

I asked them to critique each other as they worked using constructive criticism instead of just saying, "You ruined it!" or "That's so ugly!"  I heard, "Nice job! I like how you did that!" and "I think you're using too much paint."  I think this group is really taking everything that we present to them and rolling with it.  They are really fun to work with because they are open to the Reggio Approach.


I had a meeting today, so I missed 112, but they had testing during my block, so that worked out.  I touched base with Ms. Natal about the shell project and we are both thrilled with the students' interest in everything we're bringing to the table. She presented an inquiry yesterday by placing rulers, pencils and objects on the table without giving directions. She was hoping they'd measure the items on their own, but instead they started making abstract art. They turned it into a study of lines and shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment