EspaƱol

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

February 3, 2015

The Nature of Learning, our school art exhibit, is officially open at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery!







The first graders spent the morning at the Burchfield-Penney Art Center. We looked at the new Burchfield exhibition, the landscapes of Levi and more of the photography exhibit.  We went into a room that had lights that flash on and off when they sense radioactivity. They made subtle noise that intrigued the students.
Luzmary- The noise sounds like something is biting.
Sara- Like when you bite your teeth when  you're scared.
Jada- It sounds like a pebble going across the water. 
Taylor- Pretend this is the water.
Sincere- And I've got a pebble.


The pre-k students are studying animals, so I'm tying in the idea of seeing lines with drawing the lines we see in animals. We're going to start with observational drawings of animals and then focus on the patterns we see in the details of animals. This lesson is a mixture of their curiosity (about animals) their needs (to see lines in order to improve their drawings) and inspiration from a study of details that I saw while visiting the Opal School in Portland last week. 


Ryan- My buffalo needs to find food. He's hungry. He's really hungry. 

This little girl is usually quiet, but today she was inspired to share about her drawing:
A snake and a fish. They live in a pet shop and I love to buy them everyday
and everyday again. I love to buy a lot of fish. I have a lot of fish at home.
She then began to lay the foundations for a story. 

A- I'm changing my name to The Love Girl. I'm changing to another girl.
Me- Tell me about The Love Girl. 
A- It's a surprise. I'm not going to tell you it. 
Me- Oh, that's too bad. I wonder if The Love Girl likes drawing. I wonder what The Love Girl does for fun.
A- She puts hearts on paper. She loves people. 
Me- I wonder if she's a superhero!
A- NO. 
Me- Could she have something to do with Valentine's Day?
A- She only comes at Valentine's Day, and then she flies away.

I asked her if she would like to draw The Love Girl. She refused. I gave her some paper and said I really want to see what The Love Girl looks like and maybe she would like to draw it another time. She told me I should draw what I think she looks like. I might do that for her tonight. :)

Second Grade is still working on their balance provocations. We talked about how balance is used in art. We experimented with symmetry and a mirror. 





We folded paper and tried to create our own symmetric drawings. Some students understood it right away and others had to learn through critique. 

Monah- it's like balancing a stick on a plate. Like that. [sets her sharpie off the edge.]


Roshelys- balance is people who do ballet, they put their feet up and they try to balance like this. And they spin.
Liana- you can balance on one foot. 
Yaneliz- my definition is to balance on one hand.
Abzierzak- balance is when something if you put an apple and a rock the rock will be bigger than that.
Alexander- when they put a stick in one and a rock in another one and the rock is taller it goes up.
Devante- balance is like balancing a block or a pumpkin
Jakwon- balance is balancing a stick like if I balance it right here and then out a stick on top 


What are you curious about?

Kiara- I'm curious about if people join the circus, do they get hurt when they go on the tightrope.
Monah- I'm curious to see if people can balance on a marker. 
Liana- people balance on a high wire over the ocean. They hold a stick to help them balance.
Yaneliz- sometimes they balance stuff with the sticks and if they wobble, sticks will balance them back.
Roshelys- sometimes they have a thing around here to hold them up.
Monah- sometimes they go like this and...
Yaneliz- they lean
Alexander- if someone do balance on a see saw and then you grab a stick and push it up, are they going high or low?
Devante- how does something balance on an oval block?
Jakwon- if the balance thing was on the table, how do you balance two sticks the same way? 
Roshelys- how do they balance a bike on a rope? How do they do that? 
Liana- what does curious mean?
Yaneliz- it means you want to know something
Kiara- something that you don't know already.
Liana- I want to know more about how you can make something with balance in art.

No comments:

Post a Comment